Autism is the most common condition in a group of developmental disorders known as Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD’s).
Children with autism may appear to have odd or unusual behaviours but it is important to remember that these are due to neurological differences in the way their brains work, not through choice.
- Failure to develop friendships appropriate to their age/developmental level
- Lack of imaginative or social play
- Lack of social or emotional empathy
- Struggles with identifying nonverbal cues or social conventions
- Difficulty with conversational skills
- Preoccupation with a special interest
- Preference for routine and consistency
Click here for more information on the symptoms of Autism Spectrum Disorders.